The 2015 programme for our MBA Walks series of archaeology walks / field visits is now finalised, and the details can be found below.
And, for anyone booking before the end of 2014, we are offering a ‘Buy Two, Get One Free’ offer* – an ideal gift for Christmas!
Walks on offer this year are:
- Historic Lincoln – Sunday 22nd March, 10.30am-3.30pm
- Archaeology of the Southwell region – Saturday 18th April, 10.30am-3.30pm
- Archaeology of the Hardwick Estate – Sunday 10th May, 1-4pm
- Archaeology in the Landscape – Saturday 16th May, 10.30am-3.30pm
- Hidden Peak District: the Lumsdale region – Saturday 20th June, 10.30am-3.30pm
- Roystone Grange Heritage Trail – Saturday 11th July, 10.30am-3.30pm
Full details can be found by clicking here.
We are now offering archaeology & history sessions for local schools, and can tailor these to tie-in with the National Curriculum and local topics.
This is a new service for the 2014/2015 academic year, but we have already held discussions with two schools in Derbyshire about designing and delivering some sessions.
We will be working with Year 3 children at Bolsover Junior School in November to deliver sessions based around their new topic on the Stone Age, and again in January with Year 5 & 6 looking at Anglo-Saxons & Vikings.
We will also be working with the Year 5 & 6 children at St. Joseph’s school in Staveley at the end of January, also looking at Anglo-Saxons & Vikings.
Our sessions can include:
- An overview of the period
- Practical activities
- Artefact handling sessions
- Fact-based learning sessions
- Suggestions for further learning and useful resources
We can also work with teachers and topic co-ordinators to help put together Schemes of Work and Lesson Plans, and can advise on local sites to look at or to visit.
We are also able to provide practical archaeology sessions and hands-on digging days. We recently worked with Brampton Primary School in Chesterfield as part of the Chatsworth Road Festival, where we engaged with around 200 children over two days. The children found out what it is like to be an archaeologist and had a go at digging and sieving for finds.
For more information or to discuss a school visit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07599 421816.
Our Limestone Journeys Community Archaeology group based at Creswell Crags were recently interviewed by BBC Radio Sheffield.
You can hear one of the group members sharing his experience as well as MBArchaeology archaeologist Matt Beresford explaining a bit more about the project.
Click on the image to hear the interview.